Text Size   decrease font size increase font size
  • If you are getting married outside of Nebraska, you need to obtain a marriage license from the state or country in which your wedding ceremony will be performed. Contact the jurisdiction you will be married in for more information. 

  • However, a license issued in one county in Nebraska can be used in any county in Nebraska.

  • The fee for a marriage license is $25.00 cash or credit card (portal fee charged for credit card use). Personal checks are not accepted.

  • Applicants may prepay for a certified copy for an additional $9.00. The certified copy is required to change the name on a driver's license and Social Security records.

  • Proof of identity/age: valid driver's license, passport or birth certificate. If a birth certificate is used it must be a certified copy. If proof is not furnished, the license cannot be issued. Please contact our office if you have questions concerning your identification papers.

  • Social Security numbers of both applicants are requested on the marriage license application.

  • Applicants must supply the names of their parents (including mother's maiden name), and their parents' birthplaces (city and state or foreign country).

  • If either applicant has been married previously, the date the previous marriage ended will be requested (court date or date of death). A copy of the divorce decree or death certificate is not required.

  • If either applicant is not of legal age (19),a notarized consent form must be signed by the applicant's father, mother, legal guardian or custodian, giving consent to the marriage of the minor. If the individual giving consent is a legal guardian or custodian, appropriate paperwork must be presented showing this relationship to the minor.

    If either applicant is under 17 years of age, a license cannot be issued in the State of Nebraska.

    The marriage license is good for one year from the date of issuance anywhere in Nebraska. There is no waiting period.

  • All marriage licenses obtained in Nebraska are public record.

Marriage License Application