Text Size   decrease font size increase font size
  • If you are getting married outside of Nebraska, you need to obtain a marriage license from the state or country in which your wedding ceremony will be performed. Contact the jurisdiction you will be married in for more information. 

  • However, a license issued in one county in Nebraska can be used in any county in Nebraska.

  • The fee for a marriage license is $25.00 cash or credit card (portal fee charged for credit card use). Personal checks are not accepted.

  • Applicants may prepay for a certified copy for an additional $9.00. The certified copy is required to change the name on a driver's license and Social Security records.

  • Proof of identity/age: valid driver's license, passport or birth certificate. If a birth certificate is used it must be a certified copy. If proof is not furnished, the license cannot be issued. Please contact our office if you have questions concerning your identification papers.

  • Social Security numbers of both applicants are requested on the marriage license application.

  • Applicants must supply the names of their parents (including mother's maiden name), and their parents' birthplaces (city and state or foreign country).

  • If either applicant has been married previously, the date the previous marriage ended will be requested (court date or date of death). A copy of the divorce decree or death certificate is not required.

  • If either applicant is not of legal age (19), a notarized consent form must be signed by the applicant's father, mother, legal guardian or custodian, giving consent to the marriage of the minor. If the individual giving consent is a legal guardian or custodian, the appropriate paperwork must be presented showing this relationship to the minor.

    If either applicant is under 17 years of age, a license cannot be issued in the State of Nebraska.

    The marriage license is good for one year from the date of issuance anywhere in Nebraska. There is no waiting period.

  • All marriage licenses obtained in Nebraska are public record.

Marriage License Application